Things to read/prepare for web design job
Working on a month long plan : After the class is over
1.Will do redesign of Bloomberg, Boston Globe Checkout pages, NYtimes, a local business website, an app I love
2. Will use Behance as a story telling platform
3. WIll use Sketch files for the acutal design
Read materials on web design - 5 day a spirnt (From Shaunalynn's slides)
Looking at qoura and finding different web design materials to read
1. Met with professor at Dado and showed the presentation
2. Based on his recommendation changed it a bit : Feeling good about it now
3. Got more idea about the design work
4. Revisted Shuanlynn's previous matierial on story telling
5. Learned about Behance
6. Getting a rough idea about my future plans
Prepared the final presentation with reveal.js": Loved it and planning to use more
Action items after speaking with Prof and Alec
1. Updated the portfolio : Worked for a day to update it
2. Will work on design work - but now sure what and how
It took me about 10 days to finish the book review "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug.
Speaking with Alec today about the book findings
Based on some reviews shared by friends
Fixed the width of the left rail
Created a continue reading button
Based on professor's suggestion (which I also agreed), I have modified the menu. Now the menu items are big sub menu items are moved to the main menu in a box
Learnt how to create a div class in a wordpress page/post
Reading Alec's Materials and preparing for the next meet
Contact Social Warfare to change their cssThey were slowing down the site, which is why I had to remove them.
Studying Alec's books
2. Change the post from full posts to excerpts 3. Reduce the padding around the content 4. Reduce the gray space on top of the content 5. Reduce bottom margin of the navigation 6. Reduce spacing around widgets 7. Delete the line around images 8. Remove/reduce the margin around image 10. Add newsletter widget 11. Delete the bottom boder from the widget 12. Changing the footer 13. Reduce the size of footer text 14. Not link the entire footer, just the dolphia nandi part
1. Make the left rail thinner
2. Change the post from full posts to excerpts
3. Reduce the padding around the content
4. Reduce the gray space on top of the content
5. Reduce bottom margin of the navigation
6. Reduce spacing around widgets
7. Delete the line around images
8. Remove/reduce the margin around image
9. Create better social icons
10. Add newsletter widget
11. Delete the bottom boder from the widget
12. Changing the footer
13. Reduce the size of footer text
14. Not link the entire footer, just the dolphia nandi part
I found a default wordpress theme Twenty Fifteen which matches my desired design except the sticky rail is on the left.
So, I have decided to tweak this theme to match my need
Change of plans:
Today I have realized that making a wordpress theme from scratch means a lot of expertise in PHP. I worked with server side technologies for a long time and right now I am not looking forward to work in server side technlogies - in a nutshell I am not trying to hone my PHP skill in this class/project.
So, I have decided to stop making the wordpress theme for now until I speak with Professor on Monday at 4.
My progress can be easily tracked at Live site link I have shared.
Some important updates:
1. Decided to take help of Bootstrap. Following Bootstrap's Off Canvas to build the right rail.
Working Struggling on that since Friday, July 8.
Following Prof Bakhtiar's Making a duplicate Wordpress site for development and testing to migrate my current wordpress site to a dev server.
2. Meeting Alec during the studio session and discussing the database error I am getting for the dev site. Link to the dev site.
Finished design for 404 page
Finishing the markup for Tablet and Mobile
Reading Prof Mikhak's articles on Making a duplicate Wordpress site for development and testing, Theme Development and learnt about a new plugin:Theme Test Drive
Working on the new design
2. July 13: Markup -
Desktop, mobile, tablet
3. July 11: Running a dev server with current Wordpress Content
4. July 23: Wordpress theme creation
5. July 30: Integration with current content
1. Aug 13: Bug fixes
2. Aug 17: Launching new design
3. Ask for user feedback
4. A/B Testing
Develop Video and Premium Content
Implement Pay wall
Implement the recipe plugin
Sell the theme under Theme Forest
Mobile Markup Implementation
Today I am working on Mobile Breakpoints and the markup will be complete after today. After that I need to find a way to incorporate my markup in a wordpress theme. Emailed Professor Bakhtiar about that.
Also read Prof. Bakhtiar's email and learnt about A/B testing, paywall.
Desktop Markup Implementation
Worked on Desktop Markup. First view is ready and can be viewable. Working on the mobile breakpoints after that.
The website will be launched in three phases.
Phase I: Design and Implementation of the new theme. Deadline: around Aug.
Phase II: Implementing Paywall: Some Infographic and Video Tutorials will be behind Paywall. Deadline: around Oct.
Phase III: Implementing New Recipe Plugin. Deadline: next Jan.
New idea : Infographic and Paywall
Infographic design idea: NY times "The United States of Thanksgiving"
Paywall will be inplemented on inforgraphic page.
Working on new mockups as discussed with Bakthiar
The sites that's inspiring me with the design:
Preparing for usability testing for personal project
Finished reading Shaunalyn's materials
First I read James Buckhouse's "Story Map". For my entire life I was always a developer and I never understood a designer's perspective. This material helped me to understand many of those incidents happened in my professional career.
Her second link was Jason Fried's Sketching with a Sharpie. I always use colored pencils, so this definitely was interesting.
Based on Sumedha's inputs I created 3 designs.
1. PHP coding : Hovering over her photo and show some php code
2. Eating noodles : Hovering over her photo and a bowl of noodles and chopstick popping (Similar to Molly's card)
3. Jumping from the plane.
Link to the sketches -->
I could not work much this week as I was preparing for TOEFL.
First day at class. I met with Sumedha and I am making card for her. Sumedha likes to code in PHP. She also likes eating noodles and wants to skydive.